Okta is an Identity-as-a-Service. Zeplin SAML SSO is confirmed to work with Okta.
Before you begin
Okta does not generate application details (needed by Zeplin) until it has Zeplin-generated values (which need Okta data to generate). You will need to contact us at email@example.com to have us manually generate and supply your specific SSO URL and SP EntityID.
- Configure Okta from the Okta Admin Console (https://<yourorg>.admin.okta.com). Make sure you use the Classic UI interface rather than the default Developer Console, since only the Classic UI has options for SAML configuration. You can select the interface at the top right of the Admin screen, just above the Okta logo.
- Log in to Zeplin (https://app.zeplin.io) as an Owner or Admin for your Zeplin Organization
- Using the Classic UI interface, select Applications from the main navigation banner
- Click the “Add Application” button, then Click the “Create New App”. Choose the Web platform, with SAML 2.0 as the Sign on method
- Add a name for this application in General Settings, and click on the “Next” button
- Under SAML Settings > GENERAL
- Enter the SSO URL we gave you into the Okta field Single sign on URL
- Enter the SP EntityID we gave you into the Okta field Audience URI (SP Entity ID)
- Under SAML Settings > ATTRIBUTE STATEMENTS, add a new Attribute:
- Name: email
- Name Format: leave blank
- Value: user.email
- Click the “Next” button then “Finish” button
- In the Sign On tab, click on the “View Setup Instructions” button. A new browser tab will open with the information you need to enter into Zeplin.
- From the Organization Dashboard, click the settings button on the top right to access Settings, and select the AUTHENTICATION tab.
- In the SAML 2.0 section, click on the “Enable” button
- In the Zeplin popup:
- Copy the string from the Okta field Identity Provider Single Sign-On URL into the Zeplin field IdP SAML 2.0 Endpoint
- Copy the string from the Okta field Identity Provider Issuer into the Zeplin field IDP Issuer
- Copy the contents of the Okta field X.509 Certificate into the Zeplin field IdP Public Certificate
- Click on the “Enable” button
Confirm everything works!
Go to the Zeplin login page, and click the link that says Login with SSO (or go directly to https://app.zeplin.io/login/sso). Enter the email address of an existing Zeplin user. You should redirect to your Okta IdP to authenticate, then back to that user's Project page.
Your company may have policies in place that will require the Zeplin app to first be assigned to users. Usually, this is via an existing Okta user group that will need to be assigned to the Application. Select an appropriate group on the Application's Assignments tab, and assign the Zeplin application and specific users if required.
Extra information for Okta users
- When it is confirmed users can log in with SAML, you can restrict login to be via SAML only for all users by selecting this option from the AUTHENTICATION tab in Zeplin. For safety, the Owner will still be able to log in using their username/password after this option is set.
- Okta does not send a session duration value in its SAML assertion. Zeplin will expire and attempt re-authentication at the duration set in the Session Timeout field (see the AUTHENTICATION tab in Zeplin’s Organization settings. The default value is to never log out the user.
- By default, Okta signs both Assertion and Response. Zeplin will enforce a valid signature against the Okta-generated IdP Public Certificate.
- By default, Okta does not encrypt the Assertion. Zeplin will accept unencrypted assertions, and also assertions encrypted with the Zeplin-generated x.509 certificate (available from Zeplin Support). Zeplin can decrypt all of the ciphers that Okta supports.